Best Anti-Aging Skin Care Regimen
What is the Best Anti-aging Skin Care Regimen?
For people over 40, crafting and adhering to an effective skincare regimen can be a complicated task. It takes research, knowledge and a bit of an investment of both time and money. Despite the challenges, people in their 40s can learn to proactively care for their skin and evolve their regimen as they age. Proper skin care can not only make you look and feel younger, it is a vital component of a healthy lifestyle.
Men and women need to understand the components of a good skin care regimen and accept the required commitment. The challenge is that there’s no one easy answer with respect to skin. You need to customize a regimen that takes your complexion and sensitivities into account.
Let’s review the best skincare regimen for people in their 40s and 50s. We’ll explore if the regimens for men and women should differ and what the best routine should consist of.
Skincare Treatment Options
Even with strong DNA and true commitment, skin will weaken over time. A good skin care regimen can involve whatever tools, creams, ointments and technologies you prefer as long as they are proven to deliver results. Many like to use cleansers, toners and moisturizers to keep their skin looking young and healthy. Others find this process to be cumbersome and prefer the convenience and effectiveness of anti-aging devices.
Silk’n anti-aging devices, the Titan and the FaceFX, are both proven FDA approved and Health Canada cleared options for men and women in their 40s and 50s. They provide quick and long-lasting results while being safe, easy and comfortable to use.
You need to do what’s best for your skin and it’s a good idea to try different methods to discover what works best. Just don’t expect your skin to take care of itself. You need to be proactive and dedicate yourself to a regimen if you’re looking to slow the aging process.
If you’ve been adhering to the same skin care regimen since your 20s or 30s then it’s time to switch it up. The reality is that as skin ages it requires greater care. People in their 40s must understand that the proteins that keep their skin looking healthy, collagen and elastin, wither over time and it takes effort to boost their production.
Here are some general tips for people in their 40s to help build their skincare regimen:
- Drink lots of water.
- Get as much rest as possible.
- Make sure you always wear sunscreen if you plan on being outside for longer than ten minutes.
- Apply eye cream and moisturizer every night.
- Don’t overload on makeup. Less is more with respect to mature skin.
- Dedicate some time each day to thoroughly (but gently), clean your face.
- Exfoliate once a week in addition to daily cleansing.
- Do everything in your power to boost collagen production, such as using products with retinol or vitamin A.
It’s advisable to speak with a dermatologist to create a regimen based on factors like age and genetics and one that acknowledges any potential sensitivities you might have.
Should Men and Women Approach Skincare Differently?
Men and women have different skincare needs so it only makes sense that their regimens should differ.
Men in their 40s need to consider the following with respect to skin care:
- The skin on a man’s face has more hair follicles, which can lead to irritation and rough patches.
- Male skin naturally contains more collagen. This doesn’t mean that men can ignore their collagen production, but they don’t need to invest in as many collagen boosting ointments and creams.
- Male skin produces more sebum, an oil, which can result in clogged pores and breakouts.
- Male skin is thicker, making the absorption of vitamins more challenging.
- Testosterone levels for middle-aged men decrease causing skin to grow drier, thinner and more sensitive.
Women in their 40s need to consider the following with respect to skin care:
- Only use a moisturizer that is antioxidant-rich to protect skin from free radicals.
- If spending time outdoor, women must ensure that their skin is protected with sunscreen with a minimum SPF 40. This will minimize skin damage.
- Incorporate a gentle exfoliator into your daily skin care routine.
- Consider wearing face masks at least once a week to nourish skin.
Morning & Evening Anti Aging Skin Care Routines
A big part of ensuring your skin stays supple forever is to adopt a rigid skin care routine. This can mitigate the issues that skin naturally encounters once people enter their 40s.
Minimalism is a smart approach for someone in their teens and 20s but once you turn 40, it’s time to treat your skin more judiciously. It might feel like overkill, but it is recommended to stick to a stringent routine both morning and evening, as it will result in refreshed skin that looks and feels younger.
Here are some tips to craft a routine that will deliver results for your skin.
- This is the start of any strong skincare regimen and it’s important to start and end the day with clean skin and unclogged pores. You can use a deep-cleansing oil that’s enriched with vitamin E to ensure skin is hydrated. We like this one from Tatcha.
- Men and women should use a toner every day to balance and hydrate their skin. Look for products that contain peptides, which are made up of amino acids and are proven to work wonders on aging skin.
- Exfoliation is always important but it becomes imperative for people later in life. We recommend using a gentle exfoliator once a day, or at the very least, twice a week to reduce sun spots and age spots.
- Antioxidant Serum
- These tend to be more expensive but a serum with a lightweight formula can repair skin at a much deeper level. Invest in one that has vitamin C and E to brighten your complexion. A popular antioxidant serum is the Power duo Face Serum that contains probiotics, bioactives, Niacinamide and tripeptides.
- Brightening Agent
- People in their 40s who are experiencing color inconsistencies, dark patches or even hyperpigmentation should use a brightening agent or a product with a brightening ingredient like vitamin C. This can protect your skin throughout the day.
- Eye Cream
- Eyes are known to reveal one’s age so you want to treat them in the morning. Even if you don’t have sensitive skin, the area around the eyes tends to be delicate so be careful. Use products that contain antioxidants and consider Hydrolyzed collagen. A product with green tea and vitamin C is believed to reduce dark circles and make eyes look more youthful.
- Use a product that contains the right formula made with anti-aging ingredients like hyaluronic acid. Moisturizers tend to be the most affordable skincare products, typically ranging from $10-$60.
- Night-time Routine
- For your nighttime routine, you can use a moisturizer and toner in addition to a retinol. Retinol helps boost skin’s natural collagen. There are several over-the-counter products but if you find you need a stronger dose of retinol then speak to your doctor about the prescription options.
- Morning Routine
- Even if you aren’t a morning person, carve out 10-20 minutes as you’re getting ready for your day to care for your skin.
Get Healthier Skin Today!
The best skincare regimen includes proven anti-aging products or devices that are safe and effectively treat skin. Most importantly for people over 40-years-old is to commit to a regimen that starts first thing in the morning.
Learn more about Silk'n anti-aging devices. To learn more about aging, and how you can help slow the sands of time visit our Anti-aging Resource Center.