Instant glow on the go! Want to know how? Microdermabrasion.
Best Ways to Improve the Effectiveness of Microdermabrasion
Preserving youth is not just a modern way of life. Its history can be traced back to ancient Egypt when people cared for their skin just as much, but with natural ingredients.
Through the years, the human population has evolved, and so has their skincare routine. From using a mixture of clay and olive oil, to spending excessive dollars in expensive beauty clinics, humans have lived through an evolution of skincare.
As of today, an ideal skincare routine involves cleansing, toning, and moisturising. But there are people who like to go above and beyond to treat their skin (like applying eye cream or serum, using retinol, spot treatment etc.). Following a skincare routine not only helps you look younger but is also beneficial and essential for your skin’s health.
While skincare is key to a healthy and glowing face, many of us have super busy schedules and usually skip a step or two of our daily skincare regimens. Missing out on these steps once or twice in a week may not seem like a big deal, but in retrospect it does have a negative impact on the health of our skin, especially the face. As our face is often the most exposed part of our body, the skin on it is prone to aging faster when compared to the skin on the rest of our body. The pollution outside, exposure to UV rays, stress and fatigue are just a few of the factors that contribute to aging.
Though, there are products and treatments out there that help you fight the visible signs of aging whilst bestowing that much desired dewy, soft, and glowing skin. Just one of these miraculous treatments happens to be called “microdermabrasion” and is ideal for anyone who is fighting a cleansing-toning-moisturising war against aging or just wants to pamper their lovely face.
So, what is Microdermabrasion?
An abrasive and painful technique in which your dermatologist will stab your face with a hundred needles… is what anyone would’ve thought, but no, that’s not true!
In fact, it is completely the opposite of being harsh and painful. It’s a professional skin treatment that guarantees clearer, healthier, and glowing skin, and the results are instantaneous. The name undoubtedly sounds complicated and painful, but the process is simple and comfortable for most people.
Microdermabrasion facial utilizes a variable progression of vacuum pull to keep in touch with the skin while the crystals or diamond tips get to work by smoothing and polishing the skin's surface.
This also depends upon the level of vacuum pull and the grade of crystals chosen by your skincare professional. There are different kinds of techniques when it comes to microdermabrasion, from crystals to diamond tips to various kinds of crystal grades. However, in all respects, this depends upon the clinic that’s doing the treatment and the tools they choose.
Effects of Microdermabrasion
The treatment itself sounds quite impressive, but what effects does it actually have on your skin?
Since it’s a professional method of mechanically exfoliating the skin, it polishes away dead skin cells leaving a brilliant and smoother glow on the face. Microdermabrasion helps with improving the texture of the skin, at the same time reducing the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles. It’s more like getting your face exfoliated by a professional, who uses tools and techniques for perfection and therefore charges a price for it.
Some of the common skin pet-peeves that this expert technique can banish are-
- Fine lines
- Uneven skin tone
- Clogged pores
- Minute acne and scars
- Enlarged pores
- Stretch marks
- Excessive oil
- Dry skin
And of course, all this goes without saying that this aesthetic procedure sets off an increased production of collagen and elastic fibres in the dermal layer of the skin, making it plumper and more pillowy. Moreover, it also helps the skin absorb skincare products better which only leads to finer results. In the long run, it uncovers replenished cells that are healthier, giving your face a phenomenal glow.
Prep Up Before You Step Up!
It may indeed sound very fancy, achieving that dreamlike skin – smooth, silky, and even-toned. But every professional treatment requires preparation and has its after-effects. While microdermabrasion in itself isn’t very invasive and only requires minimal prepping, there are though, some steps that are imperative and should be taken to obtain the best results.
The region being dealt with should be free from any make-up and other skincare products like moisturisers and serums. Even if you have applied something, it will be taken care of by the technician. For over-the-top cleansing results, we suggest you use a cleanser that caters to your skin-type. If you have dry and sensitive skin, a gentle and creamy cleanser that doesn’t strip your skin off its natural oils will suit you perfectly. On the other hand, if your skin is oily or combination type, a lightweight gel-based or foaming cleanser is the way to go. But if you’re one of the lucky ones who’re blessed with zero skin problems and have an absolutely normal skin texture, you’re free to choose any cleanser that suits all skin types.
The only thing to remember here is – a good cleanser does not harm your skin, it refreshes it.
Avoid Other Facial Treatments
Before a week into your appointment, keep your face free from any kind of treatment. Since microdermabrasion is an advanced level of exfoliation, performing anything else on the face even a few days before it can cause irritation and discomfort, this includes:
- Laser treatments
- Botox injections
- Chemical Peels
Smoking reduces blood circulation within the body, which means your face won’t be in its best condition if you don’t quit smoking at least a week or two before microdermabrasion. You want your skin to be the healthiest for long-lasting and better results. And anyway, smoking is dangerous to your health for a lot of reasons, so one should forgo it altogether.
Avoid Going Under the Sun
We all know how harmful UV rays are for our skin. Hence it is advised to always wear sunscreen before stepping out. Long exposure to the sunrays can cause premature aging and skin cancer. So, it is best to avoid going out in the sun, especially a week before the treatment, to achieve the best results of microdermabrasion.
Post-treatment Care – How to make the effects of Microdermabrasion last longer?
You’ve done your part – got the best facial treatment for yourself. And the results are beautiful, glowing skin that’ll make your friends wonder if you got hold of some ancient, magic potion that magically brought your youth back. You tell them that more or less, that’s exactly what happened. But in your head, you’re just thanking your skincare expert or your dermatologist for doing the greatest job in the world! And now you want the results to last as long as they can.
Well, to save you time and energy, here are some expert tips on that because it’s time to treat your skin like a baby!
- Clean your face immediately after the treatment: Wash and use a rehydrating toner to remove any dead skin cells or residue left behind.
- Moisturise more to keep your skin protected from excessive peeling and do this for at least four to six days continuously after the treatment. For optimum results, we recommend using Silk’n Hyaluronic Serum. It is a unique anti-aging serum with Hyaluronic Acid and Dead Sea minerals targeted to improve skin’s appearance and provide intense hydration, and nourishment. It can also be used as an anti-aging cream.
- Don’t step out under the sun, but if you must, apply sunscreen handsomely every time. As mentioned before, the sun causes extreme damage to the skin and protecting the new and developing skin cells from the harmful UV rays is absolutely crucial. Since microdermabrasion increases photosensitivity, any kind of sun exposure can cause burns and hyperpigmentation.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables to help your skin retain the water and moisture.
- Avoid active beauty ingredients like topical medications, Retinol, products with fragrances, glycolic acids, or high alcohol content, AHAs/BHAs, Benzoyl Peroxide, Vitamin C etc. You got yourself professionally exfoliated, so its good to avoid using products that have exfoliating properties for a while.
- DO NOT wax, laser, or/and shave your face. This also includes dermaplaning, usage of any depilatory creams, IPL hair removal techniques and electrolysis. All or any of these procedures done too soon after microdermabrasion can cause major irritation to the face.
- Consult with your skincare expert before getting any cosmetic treatment. Check with your dermatologist or doctor to see how long they recommend waiting between microdermabrasion and any other sort of aesthetic procedures.
- Avoid any strenuous activities for at least 24 hours. Running, workout, gym, hot yoga, cycling, saunas, steam rooms and similar tasks should be avoided as sweat and excessive heat can cause stinging and irritation. Also, swimming in chlorinated pools is a bad idea as chlorine can dry out your skin.
Follow these above-mentioned dos and don’ts to keep your skin happy and healing after microdermabrasion.
Can Microdermabrasion be done at home?
Silk’n is a trusted name for at-home skincare treatments and has come up with a skin-enhancing diamond microdermabrasion facial that can be done at home. Now you can experience professional results within your comfort zone without having to pay for expensive clinical procedures. With its modern technique of vacuum stimulation, the Silk'n ReVit Prestige Microdermabrasion Device can give you firm and vital skin that looks younger only in several minutes. It is an ultra-powerful microdermabrasion device that is equipped with diamond peeling to improve skin tone, texture, and elasticity.
With Silk’n, you can trust that your skin is in good hands and will be taken care of, within the comfort of your home. And you won’t ever regret your time and money invested in it.
Are you already hooked and want to learn more? Visit our website to learn more about microderm at home.